PlayStation VR2 & PlayStation VR2 Sense Controller Announced
Back in March 2021, Sony revealed the sleek new VR Controller that works with the upcoming PlayStation VR for the PlayStation 5 console. Fast forward to today, Sony officially announced the all-new PS VR called PlayStation VR 2 & previously announced VR Controller is now called PlayStation VR2 Sense Controller.
Sony hasn’t shown us what the PS VR2 looked like in the flesh but they have provided some interesting technical specification of the VR headset as well as a new game Horizon Call of the Mountain, a PS VR2 exclusive game developed by Guerrilla Games & Firesprite.
PS VR2 has a host of impressive features and technology. Here is what to expect of the upcoming VR headset:
Visual Fidelity: For a high-fidelity visual experience, PS VR2 offers 4K HDR, 110-degree field of view, and foveated rendering. With an OLED display, players can expect a display resolution of 2000×2040 per eye and smooth frame rates of 90/120Hz.
Headset-based Controller Tracking: With inside-out tracking, PS VR2 tracks you and your controller through integrated cameras embedded in the VR headset. Your movements and the direction you look at are reflected in-game without the need for an external camera.
New Sensory Features: PS VR2 Sense Technology combines eye tracking, headset feedback, 3D Audio, and the innovative PS VR2 Sense controller to create an incredibly deep feeling of immersion. Headset feedback is a new sensory feature that amplifies the sensations of in-game actions from the player. It’s created by a single built-in motor with vibrations that add an intelligent tactile element, bringing players closer to the gameplay experience. For example, gamers can feel a character’s elevated pulse during tense moments, the rush of objects passing close to the character’s head, or the thrust of a vehicle as the character speeds forward. Additionally, PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech makes sounds in the player’s surroundings come alive, adding to this new level of immersion.
Eye Tracking: With eye tracking, PS VR2 detects the motion of your eyes, so a simple look in a specific direction can create an additional input for the game character. This allows players to interact more intuitively in new and lifelike ways, allowing for a heightened emotional response and enhanced expression that provide a new level of realism in gaming
PlayStation VR2 Specifications
- Display method: OLED
- Panel Resolution: 2000 x 2040 per eye
- Panel Refresh Rate: 90Hz, 120Hz
- Lens Separation: Adjustable
- Field of View Approx.: 110 degrees
- Sensors: Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Attachment Sensor: IR Proximity sensor
- Cameras: 4 cameras for headset and controller trackingIR camera for eye tracking per eye
- Feedback: Vibration on headset
- Communication with PS5: USB Type-C®
- Audio: Input: Built-in microphone, Output: Stereo headphone jack
PlayStation VR2 Sense Controller Specifications
- Buttons: [Right] PS button, Options button, Action buttons (Circle / Cross), R1 button, R2 button, Right Stick / R3 button, [Left] PS button, Create button, Action buttons (Triangle / Square), L1 button, L2 button, Left Stick / L3 button
- Sensing/ Tracking: Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope + three-axis accelerometer), Capacitive Sensor: Finger Touch DetectionIR LED: Position Tracking
- Feedback: Trigger Effect (on R2/L2 button), Haptic Feedback (by single actuator per unit)
- Port: USB Type-C® Port
- Communication: Bluetooth® Ver5.1
- Battery: Type: Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery